- March 15, 2018
- Posted by: Tour Leader
- Category: Kilimanjaro Trekking
Mount Meru is located in Tanzania and is the fifth highest mountain in Africa. It is a great mountain to climb and offers spectacular scenery, including views of Mount Kilimanjaro. The mountain is unspoilt and less congested as compared to it’s Mount Kilimanjaro and Mount Kenya counterparts.
Location: Mount Meru, Arusha, Tanzania
Day 1: Arusha/Mariakamba Hut
Mt.Meru Park Gate – Mariakamba: 4-5 hours
Drive from Arusha to the Mt. Meru park gate where you will be met by our game ranger and porters. Hike for the few hours to Mariakamba Hut at 8,500 ft. From here you may wish to take an evening walk on the slopes to view wildlife at one of the watering holes in the crater. Dinner and overnight rest at Mariakamba Hut
Day 2: Mariakamba Hut – Saddle Hut
Mariakamba – Saddle Hut: 3-4 hours
After breakfast hike to upto 11,500 ft to arrive at Saddle Hut. If time permits you can climb a little further on Mount Meru for a scenic view of the ‘Roof of Africa’, Mount Kilimanjaro. This will also be part of more acclimatization. Overnight at Saddle Hut
Day 3: Saddle Hut – Summit – Mariakamba Hut
Saddle Hut – Summit: 4-6 hours
An early rise to hike all the way to the summit before the afternoon clouds cover the summit. From the summit, descend back to the 11,500 ft Saddle Hut in time for lunch. After lunch, hike down to Mariakamba Hut for dinner and overnight.
Day 4: Mariakamba Hut – Arusha
Breakfast at the camp and a leisurely morning. Descend to the park gate to connect with your waiting transfer vehicle back to your Arusha Hotel, continue with other programs or depart.
Price includes: – Transport, Ranger /guide, Porters, Park fees, Hut fees, Rescue fees, cook, Meals, Tea and coffee
Price Excludes: – Tips / Drinks / Climbing gear / sleeping bags and all items of personal nature.
- Park fees (for non-residents)
- All activities (unless labeled as optional)
- All accommodation as stated in the itinerary
- A professional driver/guide
- All transportation (unless labeled as optional)
- All Taxes/VAT
- Roundtrip airport transfer
- All Meals (as specified in the day-by-day section)
- Drinking water on all days
- All things of personal nature
- Tips and gratuities for Mountain Guide and porters and Cook
- International flights
- Laundry Services
- Travel Insurances
What to bring:
- A warm sweater as the nights can be chilly at high altitudes.
- Comfortable shoes.